Monday, October 26, 2009

There is never a dull moment

On the occassion of Kali puja hosted by NJPA in Monmouth Junction there was never a dull moment. Backroom action was enough to match the stage performances. The show started at 8.00 in the evening, that is way after my regular dinnertime. Since I don't eat before dancing, it was quite an ordeal to see others dig into their food. After waiting forever in my attire and commuting for over an hour with an oversized mirror, there had to be a good reason for me to dance.
After the opening act, I had a minute to change for my solo and wear my bells. In all the confusion, one of my props went missing. The music started. I looked at my guru Mitra and knew I had to improvise. I followed my heart and focussed on my expressions. This song was very dear to me. It's the dance we performed at Madison Square Garden 2005, Banga Sammelan. I had to do justice to my guru's faith in me.
Well, the drama continued. We had to go for costume changes in a span of 7 minutes.
6 dancers and one mirror. We had to do it. No time to fight over the mirror.
I had another challenging solo followed by a group. I had learnt my lesson. I clutched my prop this time. We kept up our spirits and danced our hearts out.It was one of my best performances.
The applause still echoes in my ears. This feeling of love and support from the community is what makes us go on with the hope that we have to top this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment