Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Gypsy girl in Times Square

Banga Sammelan 2005 was a landmark event of my life. The convention was held at the prestigious Madison Square Garden.I was new to my Guru's team, new to the country. On the morning of the show I couldn't pass the chance to visit the ultimate tourist destination - Empire State building. I went with my kids to NYC's landmark attraction, never realizing how deceptive lines can get. We barely made it back by noon.
Being on a high adrenalin rush, I dashed off to the New Yorker for my costume change. Madison Square Garden was a different ballgame. Something so iconic that you cannot help being overwhelmed.
The dance was over in a blink of an eye. This was one place where you never wanted to stop dancing. The lighting and stage were so mesmerizing.
I dashed out in a skirt without bothering to remove my stage makeup. Everyone was making plans for their last night in the city. I was elated having performed at my dream venue. Walking through Times Square, a stranger found his ideal target. He waved a snake at me. I bet it was a fake one. I didn't scream. I had to give it back to this prankster. Gathering my wits, I smiled and told him I am use to snakes. Can't he see that I am a gypsy girl?
Had it been Jersey I am sure I would have freaked out. New York fills you with such a de-ja-vu that it feels like a different world.

No comments:

Post a Comment