Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Farewell gift

Singapore is my second home. I stayed for a brief period but it was one of the happiest periods of my life.Living in an ocean front condo and having a wonderful set of friends, life could't have been better.I was heartbroken at the thought of leaving everything behind.
As a farewell gift my friends got me a huge box. I was shellshocked at the size. Maybe it was a joke! They were probably trying to cheer me up. As I opened the package I saw a beautiful, bronze idol of Nataraja- the Lord of dance.I was in tears. I couldn't figure out why they had to make such an effort and scout Singapore to get me something Indian, when any paraphernalia from Chinatown would have made me happy.
Moving to our new home in New Jersey, I displayed the Nataraja very prominently in my living room. A few months later, I had this desire to pursue dance. I couldn't wait anymore! That's when I came across my Guru Mitra and resumed dancing.
There was a reason why Nataraja came into my life. Even if it means re-aligning my furniture, I practice in his prescence. My kids are contended to see me dancing while I am cooking or supervising their homework.
I am glad I am able to pass this love of Odissi to them. All thanks to my friends, who gave me the most perfect farewell gift- the Singapore Nataraja.

No comments:

Post a Comment