Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Look who is behind you? Lord Jagannath

Dasabatar was a labor of love. We were lucky to get 10 different people to play the 10 avatars. For over 6 months we had been learning this challenging piece, trying to memorize every avatar. After mastering the traditional Jayadev slokas, we started learning the newly recorded version with narration. We were kept on the edge till the very end before each person got her avatar. I am amazed at my director's foresight in assigning a role suited to each dancers personality. I craved for Rama & was grateful to have the opportunity to enact him.
On the day of the show, we rehearsed for this opening act. When the curtains went up, all of us were in a calm, meditative state, absolutely enjoying the roles we had been assigned. That very morning, I had carried Jagannath in my car to the theatre. Turning back in the darkness of the hall, I found him seated behind me. That was a blessing! Having him in such close proximity, I knew the show would be fabulous. Dasabatar would be the talk of the town. Jagannath would bless me in my ashtapadi, Lalita labangalata, which I had learnt at his feet.
May he continue to bless & guide me forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment